Thursday, July 24, 2008

The delusion of comfort

What I'm about to discuss is extremely controversial. So before you continue on, I want you to make a vow to me and to yourself to have an open mind, taking everything I write and carefully examining what it is I'm trying to convey. You don't have to agree with me, but please, for the sake of free speech, hear me out.

Like many young people in this country, I used to be a pretty regular wearer of blue jeans. I accepted the idea that it was the typical "casual clothing" for people all over, and I accepted the idea that they were, somehow, comfortable. Many of you who grew up in the 90's may know that, when you tried to wear other casual pants (such as sweat pants, wind pants, etc.), you were mocked and ridiculed. "Just wear jeans like the rest of us", they'd taunt. So, naturally, I reverted back to wearing jeans for my own social well-being. Well now I am 21 years old and attend college at IPFW, an apathetic commuter campus in a non-college town. Lately I have been wearing sweat pants, wind pants, and athletic shorts to class, just simply because I didn't care and I thought the sweats would really "play up" my apathy and faux angst towards everything. So, later on, I went back to wearing jeans, and I thought to myself "Good lord, these are so uncomfortable. Why on earth did I ever wear these as casual clothing?" Jeans, I dare say, are more uncomfortable than DRESS clothes! Suit pants are made of more comfortable material than jeans! Just feel jeans! Feel them! They are so rough-feeling, tough, and uncomfortable. Hey, I'm not working on machinery all day, I don't need thick, tough material protecting my legs. Why did I wear these all these years? You can't adjust at all in jeans! Heck, you can hardly move in jeans! I am hereby boycotting jeans. I will wear khakis and polos for semi-formal occasians, dress shirts and dress pants for formal occasions, and either sweat pants, wind pants, or athletic shorts for anything else. There's no place for jeans in my wardrobe. I've had it with them. I'm through.

Now, I know I may have struck a chord with the vast amount of jean-wearers out there. Hey, I was brainwashed, too. Middle school will do that. But seriously, just think about what it is you are wearing. If you are an auto mechanic or machinist, I can see the functionality of wearing jeans, and this message is not for you. But for everyone else, think about your comfort. I mean, seriously, we're all in college. Who are we trying to impress anymore?

No comments: