Friday, July 25, 2008

No Mrs. Doubtfire?


Earlier this evening, for some strange reason, I had the urge to watch Mrs. Doubtfire. So, naturally, I thought to myself, "I'll just drop by Blockbuster and pick it up." I ask Rachel to go with me, and she (being very intelligent and practical like she always is) said, "Let's check the website to make sure they have it in stock." I thought it to be unnecessary. Certainly Blockbuster, the leader in movie rentals, would have Mrs. Doubtfire, a timeless 90's classic. But Rachel has a tendency to be right about everything at all times, so I agreed to check the website just for kicks. I was horrified to discover that NO BLOCKBUSTER IN FORT WAYNE OR BLUFFTON CARRIES MRS. DOUBTFIRE!! How ridiculous is this? Mrs. Doubtfire is not some obscure independent silent film from the late 20's, it's Mrs. Freaking Doubtfire! It's a family movie staple. So we checked Movie Gallery, no Mrs. Doubtfire, either. Great.

Now, if any of you know me, once I get on a kick or get an idea to do something, I stop at nothing. There was NO WAY that I was not going to watch Mrs. Doubtfire tonight. So I said, "Fine. I'll buy it. Let's go to Wal-Mart. There's no POSSIBLE way that any Wal-Mart wouldn't have Mrs. Doubtfire, at least in one of their $5.50 bins." Once again, she urged me to check the website, and, skeptical and worried, I did. No Mrs. Doubtfire carried at ANY Wal-Mart location in Northeast Indiana. "This is insane!", I screamed. I almost gave up, completely defeated and disillusioned about the world I live in. Then I remembered Delmar Video, an obscure but versatile movie rental place tucked away up past Lima Road in an almost unknown local business center. I call, and sure enough, they have Mrs. Doubtfire.

When we got there, I proceeded to inform the employee there that they were the only place in a 50 mile radius to have Mrs. Doubtfire to rent or buy at all, and that I would not be returning to Blockbuster or Movie Gallery for that reason. He just stared at me. I figured he would be thrilled to gain a new loyal customer. Needless to say, I checked it out, watched it, enjoyed it, and now I am satisfied.

If you don't like Mrs. Doubtfire, seriously, what is your problem? Come on.

No comments: